Supervises crew of hourly Quality Control Lab Assistants on rotating shifts. Responsible for the quality testing during production, employees' complete compliance with safety, GMP and sanitation standards set by the company, government agencies and customers and participating in internal and third party audits to support Quality and Safety programs.
Maintains product analytical standards (moisture, sorbate, weight, brix, sulfur, etc.) and other quality standards as specified
· Ensures compliance with cGMP's and sanitation standards throughout the facility
· Coordinates and participates in improvement of current product and production methods
· Assists in education and training of plant management and union personnel
· Monitors in-house micro program, which includes process water and equipment sanitation, ATP testing and Tempo™ results
· Ensures calibration of all lab equipment at set frequencies
· Monitors PM program and ensures compliance with equipment maintenance and calibration frequencies; initiates program updates as needed
· Oversees completion of quarterly co-labs to ensure testing methods and accuracy of results
· Participates in special projects to evaluate performance of new equipment or processes and writes summary reports describing the results
· Manages holds to minimize losses through cooperative actions with the Operations department
· Effectively utilizes assigned personnel and resources
· Facilitates regular job methods, general information and shift safety meetings to ensure all changes are communicated to all technicians
· Provides clear, timely reports
· Troubleshoots issues with other employees and vendors to solve problems
· Recommends and/or drafts procedures to promote quality and efficiency
· Promotes employee development through training, monitoring performance, discipline, etc.
· Is an active member of the Sunsweet Safety Committee, may be assigned as a Team Leader
· Promotes safe work habits and procedures among department personnel
· Delegates to complete tasks on time and follows-up appropriately
· Writes procedures and creates forms as needed
· Monitors daily paperwork to check for accuracy and content; reviews issues with subordinates and, when needed, management
· Keys employee schedule and shift holds into SAP and processes necessary paperwork
· Monitors open holds and reviews retest results for appropriate disposition; monitors to ensure holds are closed in a timely manner
· Documents special tests as required providing summary reports
· Promptly informs Quality and Operations management teams of known or anticipated problems
B.S. Degree in Chemistry or related field
Min of 3 years Supervisory experience in the food industry in a food safety/QA role
**A combination of training and experience may be accepted as an alternative to educational requirements.
Knowledge of HACCP, cGMP's, and Local & Federal regulations for food products. Capable of making sound, educated decisions in a timely manner. Proficient in Excel, Word and SAP. Travel as needed to support Sunsweet's overall quality program.